Lanhydrock House - Cornwall
A former mansion house and a Grade II* listed building situated at Eglingham, near Alnwick,Northumberland. Belonged to the Ogle family for 400 years, but was sold some time in the 20th century to the Benwicke family. It’s also been used in multiple fashion shoots, music videos, and as the subject of photographers.
"Tintagel Castle is steeped in legend and mystery; said to be the birthplace of King Arthur, you can still visit the nearby Merlin’s Cave. The castle also features in the tale of Tristan and Isolde. With a history stretching as far back as the Romans, Tintagel Castle is one of the most iconic visitor attractions in the south west."
->I know it’s not a house, but it’s really beautiful and the birthplace of King Arthur!
Tyntesfield House - The House that out does The Addams Family!
Possibly the most Goth house in the world - if you know of another house that compares - do let me know!
Tyntesfield is a Victorian Gothic Revival estate near Wraxall, North Somerset, England, near Nailsea, seven miles from Bristol.
In 2008 the dark love story Angel, which was filmed at Tyntesfield was released. The film is an adaptation of a novel by Elizabeth Taylor. Angel is French film director and screenwriter François Ozon’s first full English-language production. Romola Garai (Atonement, Amazing Grace) stars as Angel Deverell, an impetuous romantic writer who shoots to great fame after her first book is published. But with celebrity comes heartache, and it’s not long before cracks begin to appear in Angel’s fantasy world. Watch the trailer for the movie below.
Tyntesfield even has bats. Eight bat species are found in the main house alone and the whole estate is home to 10 of the 17 species of UK bat. Visitors to Tyntesfield can watch some of the resident bats without disturbing them via Tyntesfield’s new interactive batcam.
You will need a day or 2 to see the house and grounds - fabulous!
A stately home in North Derbyshire, England, 3.5 miles (5.6 km) northeast of Bakewell and 9 miles (14 km) west of Chesterfield (GB Grid SK260700). It is the seat of the Duke of Devonshire, and has been home to his family, the Cavendish family, since Bess of Hardwick settled at Chatsworth in 1549.
Standing on the east bank of the River Derwent, Chatsworth looks across to the low hills that divide the Derwent and Wye valleys. The house is set in expansive parkland, and backed by wooded, rocky hills rising to heather moorland and contains a unique collection of priceless paintings, furniture, Old Master drawings, neoclassical sculptures, books and other artefacts. Chatsworth has been selected as the United Kingdom’s favourite country house several times.
It also appears as Mr. Darcy’s home, Pemberley, in the 2005 film of Pride and Prejudice!
Situated on a hilltop between Chesterfield and Mansfield, overlooking the Derbyshire countryside. The house was designed for Bess of Hardwick, Countess of Shrewsburyand ancestress of the Dukes of Devonshire, by Robert Smythson in the late 16th century and remained in that family until it was handed over to HM Treasury in lieu of Estate Duty in 1956. The Treasury transferred the house to the National Trust in 1959. As it was a secondary residence of the Dukes of Devonshire, whose main country house, Chatsworth House, was in nearby Chatsworth, it was little altered over the centuries and indeed, from the early 19th century, its antique atmosphere was consciously preserved.
It was built by the Peverel family in the 12th century and became Crown property in 1155 when the third William Peverel fled into exile. The Ferrers family who were Earls of Derby laid claim to the Peveril property.
When a group of barons led by King Henry II’s sons – Henry the Young King, Geoffrey Duke of Brittany, and Prince Richard, later Richard the Lionheart – revolted against the king’s rule, Henry spent £116 on building at the castles of Bolsover and Peveril in Derbyshire. The garrison was also increased to a force led by 20 knights and shared with the castles of Peveril and Nottingham during the revolt.
The castle is now maintained by English Heritage
Photos from Flickr and Wikipedia
Near Brodsworth, five miles north-west of Doncaster in South Yorkshire is one of the most complete surviving examples of a Victorian country house in England, and is virtually unchanged since the 1860s. It was designed by a 26 year old London architect Philip Wilkinson. Brodsworth Hall was originally a grand residence for Charles Sabine Augustus Thellusson, who inherited the estate in 1859. The house has over 30 rooms, ranging from grand reception rooms with original furnishings to the servants’ quarters. The house is surrounded by Victorian period gardens which are used for special events throughout the summer.
Pictures from jonrosling’s Flickr account
A fortified manor house at Aydon near to the town of Corbridge, Northumberland, England. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building.
Documentary evidence shows that a timber hall first existed on this site. The manor house was built by Robert de Reymes, a wealthy Suffolk merchant, starting in 1296 AD, adjacent to the steep valley of the Cor Burn. At this time the house consisted of a two-storied home with a solar, dining hall and kitchen on the upper floor. In 1305 he obtained a licence to crenellate his property and added battlements and curtain walls. It was captured by the Scots in 1315 and again in 1346. In the middle of the 16th century it was renovated and in the middle of 17th century it was converted into a farm. The building remained in use as a farm until 1966 but has since been restored to its medieval appearance. It is managed by English Heritage.
Appuldurcombe House (also spelt Appledorecombe or Appledore Combe):
It is now managed by English Heritage and is open to the public. A small part of the large and 1.2 km² estate which once surrounded it is still intact, but other features of the estate are still visible in the surrounding farmland and nearby village of Wroxall, including the entrance to the park, the Freemantle Gate, now used only by farm animals and pedestrians.